Faith, Ethics and Organ Donation
The one-day conference will bring together medical professionals and representatives of various faiths in order to discuss the ethical challenges arising from the practice of organ donation and transplantation. In light of the Organ Donation (Deemed Consent) Act 2019 , a discussion of the potential ethical implications of this new law is timely. The overall purpose of the conference is to encourage a critical exchange on the relevant ethical issues between medical professionals, academics, faith representatives and the wider public.
The confirmed speakers include:
Dr Idris Baker, Consultant in Palliative Medicine in Swansea, Wales.
Dr Joe Brierly, Paediatric Consultant at GOSH.
Professor David Katz, Professor of Immunopathology (Emeritus) at University College London.
Ms Romana Kazmi, Muslim Chaplain, King’s College London.
Professor Gurch Randhawa, Professor of Diversity in Public Health and Director, Institute for Health Research, University of Bedfordshire.
Dr Farrah Raza, Stipendiary Lecturer in Public Law, Pembroke College, University of Oxford (Chair).
Dr Andrew Tiel, Chaplain, Fellow & Lecturer in Theology, Pembroke College Oxford.
Pardis Gharehbeglou, PhD Student at SOAS, University of London.
12 – 1:30 pm Panel I: Identifying Ethical issues in Organ Donation
- Dr Farrah Raza, An introduction to the legal and ethical issues in solid organ donation. (Chair)
- Dr Idris Baker, When is a gift, not a gift – a view from Wales on deemed consent.
- Pardis Gharehbeglou, Understanding euthanasia and brain death from bio-ethical perspectives
- Dr Joe Brierly, Paediatric organ donation
Lunch 1:30 – 2:30pm
2:30 – 4 pm Panel II: Faith Perspectives and Inter-faith Dialogue
- Prof. David Katz, Stumbling blocks before the blind (Chair)
- Dr Andrew Tiel, Life as receiving and sharing gift in Christian traditions
- Rashida Kazmi, Muslim perspectives and awareness on organ donation
- Prof. Gurch Randhawa, Public engagement with organ donation among a multi-ethnic & multi-faith population - lessons from the U.K.
4 pm- 4:30pm Concluding comments.
Download the programme.
For more information, please contact Dr Farrah Raza.
Illustration by Patrick J. Lynch, medical illustrator - Patrick J. Lynch, medical illustrator, CC BY 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1490533
How to book
Register at Eventbrite.
Back to Events